those of you who know me well know that often in life i get stuck. by stuck i mean fixed on particular things... in kindergarten it was egg-salad sandwiches. everyday for months. ask my mom, she can probably tell you better and in more colorful detail. i had egg-salad so many days in a row my teacher and friends made unprompted comments.
other fixations in my childhood included: the movie sound of music, annie (the movie and the special annie dress my grandma peg made for me), organizing books (Bernstein bears, boxcar children, babysitters club), building & decorating homes for my barbies, any disney movie, sucking my thumb (took a barbie doll in elementary school to motivate me to finally kick the habit) etc...
in high school i remember periods of time where i would eat a pickle everyday after school... not sure why, just tasted good. also in high school i had bagels and cream cheese and chocolate chip cookies for lunch for months at a time. maybe my passion for the same thing many times in a row encouraged my passion for swimming, because really in swimming all you are doing is the same thing over and over again - back and forth down the length of the pool. in my adult life tim could probably make a more thorough list but off the top of my head: chai from starbucks (when i worked at starbucks this addiction was only fueled), diet coke, chipotle (the exact same burrito everytime), watching friends (thank you bill and jo jo), chips and salsa, white wine, pepermint patties, pecans (almost got in a fight over that one - nico and allison may remember), bagels with salami/cheeder cheese/mustard... well you get the point.
currently, well you may have already guessed, i am slightly (to be kind to myself) obsessed with playing oregon trail on facebook. i love it. i can't help it. i have begun to memorize tips which help in my game playing - like certain sickness can be healed by simply resting for a day, and buffalo are still the best bang for the buck in the hunting portion. i think my obsession with oregon trail is fueled from a number of sources - the primary one being the nostalgic value, as i remember danielle and i playing on our computer in the days of MS-DOS, where we had to remember the correct code for the program to appear. other sources which fuel my playing time include: more free time i have had in a while, drive to get better at things, and the simple joy of the game :)
so here's a question (my first question posed to you all) - anyone out there like me? what obsessions have captured your attention, even for relatively short periods of time? funny stories much appreciated. and any of you who know me well enough are also welcome to chime in to the list i began. :)
ps. lists about tim also appreciated. it seems we are extremely alike in our tendency towards addiction/obsession/commitment (you chose the adjective). for now i will just call it stuck.
7 comments:
Btw, I loved Bernstein bears, boxcar children, babysitters club…I will add Clifford. I have started reading these books to Makenna. As I was reading Bernstein Bears Afraid of the Dark I was thinking…”it is probably not time to read this yet ” I am a creature of habit…loved my thumb, I have a routine every morning and evening for work. I don’t like to mess up my routine. It is very systematic. Btw, I really want to get into oregon trail too but with the desktop in the study and my laptop on the fritz I haven’t been able to. Miss you bunches!
Yes, I unfortunately do the same with food, however end up making myself sick in the process. Freshman year at Taylor I ate instant oatmeal in my room EVERY SINGLE day that whole year. I still cannot even smell instant oatmeal without gaggin. Same thing with custard style yogurt. Ate it every single day sophomore year. Probably will never eat it again.
Also, Matt and I have always wanted to see Israel. Would you host visitors if we could somehow make it happen?
Im with you sis - LOVE Oregon Trail. But its almost too easy!
Freshman year: Hot Tamales
Sophomore fall semester: saltine crackers and honey
Sophomore spring semester: pita bread (and the accompanying 10 pounds)
Junior year: anything but Kristi's pecans
Senior year: cereal and milk with my milk buddy (we were connoisseurs, weren't we?)
Post college: Alias on DVD, Chipotle, Mike's Hard Lemonade (all at the same time)
Sorry I rejected your Oregon Trail invitation. I'm busy with my latest obsession - cottage cheese and blueberries. :)
Is it weird that mine all revolve around food?
Here is something vickie/mom emailed us:
From my perspective:
As a kiddo Timmy - Always juggled a ball with his feet while watching TV in any position. Had an egg sandwich for breakfast for years. Also wanted an oj & milk mixture in his sippee cup all day.
In HS years Tim - Played basement soccer every weekend. Did backyard soccer drills whenever weather permitted.
Consistently never less than 5 min. never more than 10 min late for curfew. Watched Seinfeld daily. Had bowls of cereal as snacks daily. Was committed to any video/computer game. Tackled Gabe and Janae over and over to show how much he loved them :)
excuse me-a certain family member has not been mentioned-Miss Faith Dogg! Talk about obsession-BALLS anyone? AS I write this a ball is in my lap and one Faith is staring me down until I throw this ball!!! That and now another obsession is watching BALLS on TV-the best is basketball-no kidding for hours at a time. She fits right in with her parents! Talk about over and over and over again-ha-ha!
HELLOOO OVER THERE! its me Jamie!
:) dont worry! ur not the only one. I was obsessed with turkey bagels for a while and chips and salsa...just not together lol. :) Also...about the oregon trail....I have heard from my friend Mehgan (she came with me to the going away party for you guys) that SHE is ALSO addicted to it! :) shes trying to get me involved but I figure being how i dont have internet at home I should stay away from it for now lol.
I miss you guys! hope you all are doing well! Im moving back to Missouri on the 15th of Feb. Keep in touch!
Jamie M. (AKA Melissas Lil Sis;))
Oneandonlyjamiekins@gmail.com
Post a Comment