i am reading a book of thoughts by Henri Nouwen and below is something i read this morning that struck me.
here the deeper meaning of prayer becomes manifest. to pray is to unite ourselves with Jesus and lift up the whole world through Him to God in a cry for forgiveness, reconciliation, healing, and mercy. to pray, therefore, is to connect whatever human struggle or pain we encounter with the gentle and humble heart of Jesus...
prayer is leading every sorrow to the source of all healing; it is letting the warmth of Jesus' love melt the cold anger of resentment; it is opening a space where joy replaces sadness, mercy supplants bitterness, love displaces fear, gentleness and care overcome hatred and indifference. but most of all, prayer is the way to become and remain part of Jesus' mission to draw all people to the intimacy of God's love.
come to me all you who are weary and find life burdensome, and i will refresh you. take my yoke upon your shoulders and learn from me, for i am gentle and humble in heart. your soul will find rest, for my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matthew 11:29-30
1 comment:
NOUWEN!!! I love his books. I think you have to, at least if you want to move to Nepal for three years with WMF....they said it was a requirement that you love Jesus and Nouwen. Weird huh? Maybe I should have talked to you all about that before I signed on. That's normal right?
Post a Comment