Thursday, May 1, 2008

the red tent

biblical fiction. it can often be cheesy, horribly written and an unnatural strech of cultural reality. with that said, yesterday i began reading the red tent by anita diamant and am really enjoying it. the book is not "g" rated, but it is well written. and i was taken (like the pursuit of God) in the first line (of the prologue).

we have been lost to each other for so long.
my name means nothing to you. my memory is dust. this is not your fault, or mine. the chain connecting mother to daughter was broken and the word passed to the keeping of men, who had no way of knowing. that is why i became a footnote, my story a brief detour between the well-known history of my father, Jacob, and the celebrated chronicle of Joseph, my brother. on those rare occasions when i was remembered, it was as a victim.

living again in the middle east i more and more appreciate the telling of the stories of women. granted this is a work of fiction, but i am deeply appreciating the tale.

(2001 - book of the semester redeeming love, 2008 - may have a bit of a different choice- haha).

4 comments:

Kristi said...

ohhh, I just picked up that book. I should start it now and we could compare notes! I'd love your take on things "middle-eastern".

ahhh, I love your stories....I'm addicted to checking your blog! Thanks AGAIN for keeping it up and being so transperent with your thoughts and feelings!

Deborah Downs said...

Yikes. I remember reading Redeeming Love... I bawled my eyes out the entire book. Speaking of women's books... I'm writing one at the moment. Let me know if you run out of books and I'll send it to you if you're interested in reviewing it. I have three people going over it right now but the more eyes the better.

Nathan and Nicole said...

LOVED the Red Tent. I remember Ashley W. reading the Red Tent for a class at JUC when we were there. I finally read it this fall and loved it. Nathan would have a heart attack since it's not completely biblical, but since it doesn't claim to be, I will give myself permission to love it. :)

Deborah Downs said...

So, you succeeded in peaking my interest. I went and read a commentary on The Red Tent and it intrigued me. So this morning I went and bought it. Can't wait to read it. :-)