Tuesday, September 13, 2011

not a great way to meet your neighbors...

Well I think I have now experienced one of the top ten most awkward ways to meet your neighbors...  have them come out in concern because you are yelling about their cat being a mean cat and your daughter is crying at the top of her lungs...

Today has been one of those days filled with highs and lows.  I won't go into all of the details, but a definite high was our friends joyce, finley and conner coming to visit.  as joyce was loading up her car to go samantha decided to go say hi to the neighborhood cats.  (I have been having trouble convincing Sam to give the cats space - this is seriously a nearly daily struggle/conversation.  She loves animals and can't imagine why they wouldn't love her.  And it is frustrating to her when I try to interrupt her "playing" with them).

So yes, as Joyce was loading up the car Sam decided to say hello to two of the cats, each one now scared under two separate cars.  She was running from car to car saying hi to them.  When the big black cat began to slowly come out from under the car in full attack mode.  Back up.  Hair up.  Mouth open. Hissing. Sam ran away and the cat proceeded to follow after her at a close distance.  At this point I begin to scream at the cat and at Sam to come to me.  The cat backed off and Sam began to cry.  I then began to explain to her that the cat is a mean cat and she must never get close to the cat again.  (I think I was talking in a loader tone at this point).

As I am trying to calm Sam down one of the neighbors, and I later find out the "owner" of said cat, comes out to see what is happening.  I think she may have heard my "mean cat" comments and heard the small child crying... Then her roommate also comes out.  I am not exactly sure what to expect at this point.

They both were really nice about it.  I think more concerned for Sam than anything else.  And explained their cat isn't super nice and they adopted him as a teen and think he may have been a wild cat at some point.... great.

I think it is fair to say I felt awkward.  I may drop off some cookies tomorrow...  I think my blood pressure has just recently returned to normal.  Thankfully Tim came home during the middle of it all (lucky him).  and Joyce managed to pack up her two boys and we said good-bye.

Lets just say it has been one of those days.

2 comments:

Matt and Abby said...

Hope today is better! Maybe your neighbors will control their cat now:)
How sweet that Sam loves animals, I can't believe they don't love her back:)

Nicole said...

Cats are tools of the devil. This is truth.