Tuesday, December 21, 2010

christmas note


Merry Christmas!

First I have to say a huge thanks to brooke knipp for the amazing pictures (see picture to the left) she took of us in November. Brooke you are the greatest and we love you!

Now back to the christmas note...

Immanuel - God with us. This year I again find myself comforted by the reality that God became flesh and dwelt among people, and by His spirit is with us today.

This year was filled with great joy but also great sorrow. The year began with the death of my dear Great Uncle Jim. He was a man of great faith. He had a passion for learning, an appetite for fantastic food and a love for people. As Tim and I returned to Denver for Thanksgiving I found myself missing him, as Denver was his home and our shared time living there was full of meaningful time together. Uncle Jim left us many gifts - tim is particularly thankful for 60 boxes of books he began to sort through over thanksgiving (thanks stivers and now mom & dad knipp for housing these books!).

In April my Grandpa Rid died (Uncle Jim's brother). His presence is especially missed this time of year, as he loved Christmas. Even today I couldn't help but cry in church when we sang "Angels we have heard on High," which was one of his favorite Christmas songs. When people share with me their fond memories of my grandpa I always say, "yes, he was a great man." A great man with a heart for people, his family, the Word of God, games, and the Lord. I imagine him singing Christmas carols even now - and I bet "Angels we have heard on High" sounds pretty good surrounded by the Heavenly Host.

In June we enjoyed a special time in Florida with the Knipps. We love being together as a family and being together in a beautiful place was a special treat! After we returned I went back to work part time and Tim started a part-time job at Hillcrest Chapel, as a teaching pastor. We both find enjoyment in our work. And Sammy enjoys her weekly day with daddy and her special weekly visit to Bellingham to be cared for by my mom (and often visits with auntie defense!).

In July we had a miscarriage, which is still a grief I find complicated. I have found great peace and healing but am still surprised every now and then by the loss.

The fall was full of traveling - Calvin and Liz's wedding in Omaha, a fabulous vacation with my family to Hawaii, a trip to visit the Mosers, and Thanksgiving with the Knipps.

Samantha Jean brings us such joy! She loves to laugh, has strong feelings about most things, enjoys talking in a language all her own, and would play chase all day if we had the energy. Recently she has began to incorporate English into her vocabulary and found great delight playing fetch with faith (our dog). She particularly loves saying hi, blowing kisses before bed, and announcing amen after every prayer.

We continue to love our life in Vancouver. We live in a house with amazing housemates. We love our neighborhood - the chance to walk to good sushi, excellent coffee and beautiful parks. We are thankful for friends a few blocks away to play games with, and a moms' group who brings weekly encouragement to me.

We look forward to Tim's graduation from Regent in January 2011! With Tim's graduation, 2011 will most likely bring change in where we live and what we do. We are thankful for your continued prayer - so many of you stood with us as we left Denver 3 years ago at the beginning of this journey. Now near the end we are humbled and incredibly grateful for your support!

This Advent season Immanuel has given me a great gift. In a very real way the Lord has reminded me of His faithfulness and love, which I needed after a year filled with tears. I have no doubt that God was with us throughout the year, as He graciously made Himself known in big and small ways.

May the God who is with each of us be glorified this Christmas!
Merry Christmas!
Love,
Kristi

2 comments:

Bekah said...

miss you friend.

Nathan and Nicole said...

Love and miss you friend. Thanks for the update. Loved the picture Brooke took!